What the law allows pharmaceutical drug manufacturers to do
Lies, deceit, falsification
Marcia Angell, M.D. is an American physician, author, and the first woman to serve as editor-in-chief of the New England Journal of Medicine. She has had a distinguished and high-ranking career. This article draws on her book The Truth About The Drug Companies.(4)
The objective of pharmaceutical drug companies is to maximise their profits. They spend at least two and a half times more on marketing than on research.(3) They have no incentive whatsoever to provide the cheapest, most effective alternative for any ailment. On the contrary, they try to hide or discredit all alternatives to their current, most expensive, patented drug, even when these alternatives are demonstrably superior.(4)
The pharmaceutical drug industry is based on patents and legal approvals. The granting of a patent and approval for sale for a drug or a manufacturing process provides the lifeblood for drug companies. They will do anything to secure as many patents as possible in order to stifle their competition, and maximise their profits by selling at the highest possible price.
It requires enormous capital and long testing periods before a drug is approved for sale to the public. In America, it often takes ten years and $1 billion to get a new drug onto the market. Only the biggest few companies have the resources to do this. The bigger and more profitable the industry, the more it can afford to lobby (bribe) politicians and decision makers to pass laws that benefit the industry.
Usually new drugs approved for patent and sale are me-too drugs, with a slightly altered molecule to an existing drug. In the USA, the testing required for drugs does not require that they be compared with their close cousins, with any other drugs, or with any natural or traditional medicines. It is sufficient to show that they are effective in curing a particular ailment. The fact that they may be less effective than all the alternatives is deliberately concealed. Frequently a new and less effective me-too drug will go on sale with a new patent, a high price, and a campaign to hide or discredit the expired-patent drug it is replacing.(4)
Many drugs are ineffective, with falsified studies (1), lobbying pressure, and placebo effects distorting their use. "In more than half of the clinical trials for six leading antidepressants, the drugs did not outperform the placebo".(5) With pharmaceutical companies funding the research into and testing of their own products, there is tremendous pressure on the researchers to come up with the desired results - regardless of whether the drugs really work or not. Huge bribes, threats, and the making or breaking of careers are all at stake. "It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published."(4)
Most research findings are false
Up to three quarters (75%) of published research in the medical literature concerning pharmaceutical drugs is ghostwritten by public relations firms. Pharmaceutical companies routinely hire these firms to ensure that the results of studies read the way that they want them to read - and they conceal potentially serious or even fatal side-effects. (1)
A research article (6) published in 2005 came to the following conclusions. It seems that the manipulation and suppression of research results for financial reasons has worsened since then. (1)
"... most claimed research findings are false."
"The greater the financial and other interests and prejudices in a scientific field, the less likely the research findings are to be true. Conflicts of interest and prejudice ... are very common in biomedical research."
"There is increasing concern that in modern research, false findings may be the majority or even the vast majority of published research claims."
Suppression of adverse findings and avoidance of necessary research particularly applies to the genetic modification of food.
A leading cause of illness and death
Pharmaceutical drugs are the third leading cause of death in the USA (most other countries too). And for each person who dies from a drug, there may be a hundred suffering from the side-effects of the pharmaceutical medications that they are taking - sometimes knowing that the drugs are causing illness, but more often existing in a haze of confused sickness and ailments, not having connected the dots...
No natural or traditional home remedies please
This is why drug companies are not interested in natural or traditional products, which are usually more effective than pharmaceuticals, and have no side-effects. There are thousands of examples of effective natural cures that are not used because there is no financial incentive for anyone to do so, or because they have been actively discredited.
Here are a just couple of examples:
- Borax prevents and treats arthritis, candida and many other ailments. It is so cheap and effective that medical boards in Western countries have actively campaigned against it and got it discredited and labelled as a poison. In reality, it has about the same toxicity as table salt, and is widely and effectively used in countries where the pharmaceutical industry does not have as much clout.
- Apple cider vinegar is an effective and cheap remedy for many ailments. For example, if you have acid reflux / heartburn ACV is a quick and permanent cure.
- Vitamin C is a cheap, effective natural antihistamine, with no side-effects. Perhaps you are allergic to pollen. Next time you find yourself sneezing, try it!
- Vitamin C has proved more effective than AZT in suppressing HIV in infected people.(2) AZT costs 10 to 20 times more. Nevertheless, AZT is promoted and used rather than vitamin C.
- Colloidal silver is an effective antibiotic, antifungal and antiviral, cheap and without side-effects if used correctly. It is subject to an ongoing campaign to discredit it.
- The old diuretics are far more effective for treating high blood pressure than new drugs like ACE inhibitors and calcium channel blockers, but are seldom used.(4)
- Iodine is another powerful and natural remedy that is subject to a campaign to discredit it.
- Progesterone and estrogen may be used in the treatment of menopause symptoms. We have access to safe and effective bio-identical alternatives but they are NOT encouraged by doctors who are kept ignorant of their availability by the drug companies. This is just one example of how you are being pushed to purchase their expensive, dangerous, synthetic (manufactured) versions of natural or bio-identical alternatives. The reason - proprietary drugs can be patented, natural medicines cannot. When natural remedies are altered to create a new molecule that can be patented, an inevitable consequence is horrific side-effects. Most drugs have side-effects, such as heart and liver disease, cancers, bone loss, dependence and addiction, skin diseases, depression and many other mental problems, and much more.
- Throughout this website, you will discover numerous other remedies that are highly effective, cost little, and that the pharmaceutical companies are doing everything they can to discredit or ban.
- Many more cheap, natural, highly effective remedies are listed here. Pharmaceutical companies are doing all they can to control, ban and discredit all remedies that they cannot own and patent.
1. Gotzsche P.C. et al.
Ghost authorship in Industry-initiated Randomised Trials.
PLoS Medicine 4, no. 1, (2007): e19
2. Holford, Patrick. 100% Health. The Drug Free Guide to Feeling Better, Living Longer and Staying Free From Disease. Judy Piatkus Publishers. 1998.
3. New Doctor. Medicare Fact sheet 10. Issue 75, Winter 2001.
4. Angell, Marcia. The Truth About the Drug Companies. Scribe Publications, 2005.
5. Bruce Lipton. The Biology of Belief. Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles. Mountain of Love / Elite Books. 2005.
6. John P. A. Ioannidis. Why Most Published Research Findings Are False. PLoS Med. 2005 August; 2(8): e124. Article